Master of Medicine (psychiatry) from University Sains Malaysia, Malaysia
Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery, MBBS from Tribhuvan University, Nepal
- Head of Department of IGMH psychiatry department since August 2014
- Consultant in Psychiatry at IGMH since February 2014
- External lecturer at MNU, Faculty of Health Sciences, Msc Nursing, since February 2014
- Facilitator in several workshops on child abuse at the Society for Health Education
- Mental Health Expert for the National Parole Board, since January 2014
- Committee member, MOH/HPA: National Mental Health Policy revising drafting since August 2014
- Medical Officer at Ministry of Health and Family from November 2007 to august 2009
- Section head of Supervising and Monitoring unit, QID and Member of Ethics Committee, at MOH, Quality Improvement Division (QID) from September 2008 to August 2009
- Clinical Assislant at IGMH from July 1999 to October 2000
- Psychotherapies; specifically Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and psychology of victims, resiliency as well as in working with survivors of abuse.
Research & Publication
- Psychological Well-being, Emotional distress and Resilience in adolescents living with Thalassemia in Maldives (2013) Zahiruddin, O., Shanooha, M., &MohdAzhar, M. Y. (2014).
- Psychosis induced by Cefuroxime and Metronidazole. The Medical Journal of Malaysia, 69(1), 33–4.
I have always found the mind to be interesting, and have been fascinated by how two people could perceive the same thing differently. This drew me psychiatry and the more I learnt about the mind, the more I wanted to know. My current aim is to establish a Psychiatry ward in IGMH, and to start psychological and rehabilitative services and develop the psychiatry department, so that the psychiatric services available in the Maldives is more holistic, community based and not just about medication.