Dr. Prasanna Venkatesh M K, Sr. Consultant Paediatric Urologist. His interests include Paediatric Urolithiasis (Stone disease) – Both the minimally invasive urologic surgery and the metabolic evaluation, Dysfunctional Elimination Syndrome, Urinary tract infection in children, Undescended testis, PUJ Obstruction, VUR (Vesico Ureteric Reflux), Hypospadias, Primary Nocturnal Enuresis (Bedwetting), Urodynamics in children, Laparoscopic Paediatric Urology, Posterior Urethral Valves (PUV) and Major Reconstructive Urology for children with spinal dysraphisms. He has 6 publications in peer reviewed Indexed Journals and has also delivered numerous presentations in the field of Paediatric Urology across the country in various academic platforms.
He was a gold medallist at his school having graduated as the best outgoing student and he is a gold medallist in MBBS, from the Mysore University. He completed his MS – General Surgery and DNB – General Surgery from the J N Medical College, Belgaum and finished his residency training (DNB) in Urology at the NU Trust, Bangalore. He is also a qualified Paediatric Urologist having finished his Fellowship in Paediatric Urology from the Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, Karnataka. He has had training abroad in the field of Paediatric Urology at The Cleveland Clinic, Columbus, Ohio and at The Boston Children’s Hospital, Boston, USA.
At various State and Zonal level Urology conferences, he has been a recipient of awards in the best paper and best video presentations category. His other interests are IT in Hospitals and Hospital Administration and he is currently pursuing expansion plans and launch of new units (Launch of the Rajajinagar Unit) of NU Hospitals at Bangalore and in Tamil Nadu. He has been instrumental in bringing down the costs of establishing a world class facility, with use of technology and quality material and equipment sourced from around the world, so that this benefit can be passed onto the patients. He is also actively working on bringing forth various philanthropic initiatives in the field of
Nephrology and Urology so that those who cannot afford the current medical costs, may receive quality and timely care.
Dr. Prasanna says that at NU Hospitals, the doctors spend time with the patient and examine his or her condition thoroughly, explaining in detail to the patient and his or her family about the diagnosis, the medical condition, the treatment course, the long-term follow-up plan, etc.
Decisions are not taken individually – rather collective decision-making is carried out. Standard operating protocols of international standards are followed.
Explanation of the treatment course and the medical condition and so on, is facilitated through audio-visual aids, videos and NU Hospitals Public Information Brochures (PIB’s). Also, the hospital’s discharge reports and the discharge summaries are detailed and in-depth.
Effective and compassionate medical care, he says, can be ensured by spending time with the patients, following systems and protocols and ensuring training at all levels, such as for the doctors, ward boys, labs, nurses, paramedical staff and so on. This is to ensure quality at every level.
Evidence-based medicine (EBM), which is followed at NU Hospitals, enables effective medical care. EBM is a way of practicing medicine that is based upon the best evidence that is already available. Published results of studies that have been conducted are looked at and the treatment modality is then decided, based upon the evidence.
Department of Specialization :Urology, Subspeciality: Pediatric Urology
Papers & Cases Presented/Papers Published
- Talk on clinical decision dilemmas in posterior urethral valve in 3rd ASU Prof. HS Bhat midterm workshop held at Hotel Motimahal, Falnir Road Mangalore on 22nd November 2015
- Seminar paper presentation on “Undescended testis management what are the consensus & what are the controversies” held at St.John’s National Academy of Health Sciences, Bangalore on 16th August 2015.
- Seminar paper presentation on “Persistent HN-HU after PUV fulguration causes, evaluation & management” held at St.John’s National Academy of Health Sciences, Bangalore on 15th August 2015.
- Seminar paper presentation on “How to follow-up child post PUV fulguration” held at St.John’s National Academy of Health Sciences, Bangalore on 15th August 2015.
- Panelist and an advisory board member, for National Bedwetting Committee, and a speaker at a meeting at the The Taj Mahal Hotel in New Delhi 08th May 2015.
- At the Urology Master Class on PCNL CME held on 6th & 7th December, 2014 at NU Hospitals, Bangalore – 70, delivered a lecture on ‘Pediatric PCNL – How is it different from Adults ?’
- At the “Dr H S Bhat Memorial CME” held on 23rd November 2014 at Kochi, attended and discussed about ‘Bowel management in Vesical dysfunction and Dietary fibre and its myths’.
- At the Master Class on “Management of Detrusor Overactivity with Botulinum Toxin” held on 8th October, 2014 at NU Hospitals, Bangalore – 70 attended and discussed about “Multidisciplinary approach in the management of detrusor overactivity”
- At the Pre-Conference Instructional Course on Advanced Pediatric Endo-Urology held on 31st July 2014 at NU Hospitals, Bangalore – 70 demonstrated Live Laser Ureteroscopy for an Ureteric Calculus on a 5 year old child, spoke about “Primary Hyperoxaluria” and demonstrated Pediatric Endo Urology Instruments to the attending delegates.
- Delivered Lecture on “The domain of Pediatric Urology in brief ” at the CME program on Nephrology and Urology, held at TCR-NU Kidney Hospitals, Krishnagiri on 9th March, 2014
- Delivered Invited Lecture on “Bladder neck management in PUV (Interactive session with panel discussion) at the 47th Annual Conference of the Urological Society of India, held between 29th January – 2nd February 2014 at The Ashok, New Delhi
- Delivered Invited Lecture on “Bowel Dysfunction in children” at the International Conference of Reconstructive Paediatric Urology (ICRPU), held at the KLES University Hospital, Belgaum on Nov 16th and 17th 2013
- Delivered Invited Lecture on “CIC in children, How and What to teach?” at the International Conference of Reconstructive Paediatric Urology (ICRPU), held at the KLES University Hospital, Belgaum on Nov 16th and 17th 2013
- Delivered Invited Lecture on “Nuclear Imaging for UPJ Obstruction in children” at the International Conference of Reconstructive Paediatric Urology (ICRPU), held at the KLES University Hospital, Belgaum on Nov 16th and 17th 2013
- Presented a paper titled “Current concepts on the role of Prophyalctic Antimicrobial Therapy in children” at the Bangalore Urological Society meet, held at Bangalore on 27th Sept, 2013
- Was a faculty in a symposium on UTI and spoke about ‘Prophylactic antimicrobial therapy in UTI – In Adults & In Children – Symposium on UTI’ at the, SZ-USICON-2013, held at Mysore on July 12 – 14th, 2013.
- “An audit of suprapubic catheter insertion performed by a urological nurse specialist” by Sam C. Zacharia, Maneesh Sinha, Prasanna Matippa, Venkatesh Krishnamoorthy (Indian Journal of Urology, Jan-Mar 2013, Volume 29, Issue 1)
- “Results of urinary dissolution therapy for radiolucent calculi” by Maneesh Sinha, Kumar Prabhu, Prasanna Venkatesh, Venkatesh Krishnamoorthy (Int Braz J Urol. Vol. 39 (1): 103-107, Jan – Feb, 2013)
- Presented a paper titled Bilateral PUJ Obstruction – Concerns in Management at USICON – Pune, 18.01.2013
- Was a faculty at APSOGUS 2012, Nov 10th and 11th 2012 – Nellore, A.P in a symposium on Pediatric Urology. Presented two papers – “ How to collect Urine Sample in a child” and “Management of Bowel and Bladder in UTI in children”
- Was a faculty at the Pediatric Urology CME at SZUSICON – Hyderabad – July 2012 – Presented Guest lectures- Practical evaluation in Detrusor Sphincter Dyssynergia and Parent Education in Children with UTI.
- Presented a paper titled Impact of Urotherapy in Children at SZUSICON – Hyderabad – July 2012.
- Was a faculty at the KUA – PG – CUE held on Feb 18, 2012 at Bangalore and presented on Dysfunctional Voiding.
- Was a faculty at the Pediatric Urology Sub specialty session at USICON – Bangalore – Jan 2012 – Urotherapy, NBE and SNOB
- Presented a paper titled Use of RIRS in Renal Papillary Necrosis at USICON – Jan 2012 in Bangalore.
- Presented in the Pediatric Urology Sub specialty Session at USICON – Kolkata – Dysfunctional Voiding in children – A Review, in Jan 2011
- Observer at Paediatric Urology Department at Boston Children’s Hospital affiliated to Harvard University, Boston, MA, USA from 26th May to 13th June, 2008.
- Attended the Paediatric Urology Section Symposium of the AUA at Orlando, Florida USA on 20th May, 2008.
- Attended the AUA – Annual Conference at Orlando, Florida, USA from 17th to 22nd May, 2008.
- Attended the Indian American Urological Association (IAUA) meet at Orlando, Florida USA on 19th May, 2008.
- Observer at Paediatric Urology Department at Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio, USA from April 21st 2008 to May 9th 2008.
- Presented the paper titled ‘Technique of the FTIR Urinary calculi analysis’ at the State Conference, TAPASUCON – 2007, held at Erode on October 6, 2007.
- Presented the paper titled ‘Use of RIRS in renal papillary necrosis’ at the State Conference, SZ-USICON-2005, held at Coimbatore on July 15, 2007.
- Presented the paper titled ‘Management Algorithm of Nocturnal Enuresis’ at the State Conference, SZ-USICON-2005, held at Bangalore on July 16, 2005.
- Presented the paper titled ‘PCNL in Calyceal Diverticulae’ at the State Conference, KUACON-2004, held at Mangalore on October 21, 2004.
- Presented the paper titled ‘Posterior Urethral Valves and Need for Regular Follow-up’ at the National Conference, USICON-2005, held at Ahmedabad on January 20, 2005.
- Presented a poster presentation of the rare case titled ‘Eosinophilic Cystitis’ at the Zonal Conference, SZ-USICON 2004, held at Vijayawada on July 10, 2004. Also presented the paper titled ‘PUV – Management Algorithm’ at the same conference.
- Presented the cases titled ‘Paediatric PCNL + Antegrade URS’ and ‘Retained Ureteric Stent – Removed by PCNL’ at the Bangalore Urological Society on January 30, 2004.
- Presented the cases titled ‘Relevant embryology of Ureteral / renal anomalies’ at the Bangalore Urological Society on March 26, 2004
- Presented the cases titled ‘Case of Pediatric PCNL + Antegrade URS’ & ‘Case of Retained ureteric stent – removed by PCNL’ at the Bangalore Urological Society on January 30, 2004
- Presented the cases titled ‘Interesting case of colovesical fistula’ at the Bangalore Urological Society on November 31, 2003
- Presented the cases titled ‘Uncommon complication of PCNL’ at the Bangalore Urological Society on July 25, 2003
- Presented the cases titled ‘Case of GU Koch’s with recurrent VVF’ at the Bangalore Urological Society on June 29, 2003.
- For Bed Wetting – Punishment is not a medicine, Vijayavani, 2nd June 2015.
- Kannada Doordarshan Chandana channel: Discussed on UTI in children – May 16, 2011
- Kannada Doordarshan Chandana channel: Discussed on Nocturnal Eneuresis – Apr 14 2011
- Kannada Doordarshan Chandana channel: Discussed on Urolithiasis – May 14 2008
- CME presentation on Introduction of NU Hospitlas and Janam Fertility at NU Hospitals, Bangalore on 6th December 2015
- CME presentation on “ Holmium Laser Treatment for Kidney Stones” at KM Hospitals, Ambur, TN on 6th December 2015
- CME presentation on “ Paediatric Urology – The domain in brief” at KM Hospitals, Ambur, TN on 6th December 2015
- CME presentation on “ Impact of Bed Wetting” at Pride hotel, Bangalore on 9th October 2015
- CME presentation on “ Impact of Bed Wetting” at NU Hospitals, West, Bangalore on 1st August 2015.
- CME presentation on “ Lasers in Urology” held at NU Hospitals, West, Bangalore on 26th June 2015.
- CME presentation on “ Lasers in Urology” held at Family Physicians Association – Bangalore The Solitaire Hotel, Kumarakrupa Road, Bangalore on 29th March 2015.
- CME presentation on “Impact of Bed Wetting” held at La Marvella – Best Western Premier Hotel, Bangalore on 13th March 2015.
- CME presentation on “Antenatal Hydronephrosis – Understanding it better” held at Best Western La’Marvella Hotel on 6thMarch 2015
- CME presentation on “Antenatal Hydronephrosis” held at Hotel Best Western Premier La’marvella, Jayanagar, Bangalore on 17th Dec 2014.
Awards & Achievements:
- Won the Pika Uro Quiz at KUACON Oct 2011 held at Manipal
- Won the NU Trust Best Video Prize at KUACON Oct 2011 held at Manipal for the video titled Pediatric PCNL. ” How is it different from Adults?” .
- Is the Co Investigator for a Trial on TKI’s in Metastatic RCC. Attended the Investigators meet at Rome, Italy Sept 16-17, 2010
- Won a gold medal during MBBS, Mysore University.
- First Doctor to complete DNB (Urology) from the NU Trust Institute.
- Presented the paper titled ‘Establishment of Urinary Tract Calculi analysis database using the FTIR technique’ that won the ‘Dr. Dilip Adappa Best Paper Award’ at KUACON-2007, held at Mysore on November 03, 2007.
- Presented the paper titled ‘Emerging Concepts in Management of PUV (Posterior Urethral Valve)’ that won the ‘Dr. Dilip Adappa Best Paper Award’ at KUACON-2006, held at Davanagere on October 16, 2006.
- Presented the paper titled ‘SNOB and It’s Treatment’ that won the ‘Best Paper Award’ at TAPUSUCON-2006, held at Puduchery on October 8, 2006.
- Is the first Government University qualified Pediatric Urologist in the country.
- Topped the national level Practical Exam for DNB (Urology) in Pune, November 2006.
- Presented the paper titled ‘PCNL in the Management of Upper Urinary Tract Calculi’ at the State Conference, KUACON 2003, held at Hubli on October 20, 2003. The paper won the ‘Dr. Dilip Adappa Best Paper Award’.
Special Interests : Pediatric Urology, Laparoscopic Urology, Flexible Ureteroscopy and Reconstructive Urology. Information Technology in Hospitals Patient Safety Practices
Career Goals : To specialise in Paediatric urology and laparoscopic Urology
Current Pursuits : Ongoing research in different fields of urology
- Member of the Bangalore Urological Society (BUS)
- Member of the Karnataka Urology Association (KUA)
- Member of the Tamil Nadu & Puduchery Association of Urologists
- Member of the South Zone – Urology Association
- Member of the Urological Society of India
- Member of the American Urological Association (AUA)
- Member of the Indian American Urological Association (IAUA)
- Member of the International Continence Society (ICS)
- Member of the European Society of Paediatric Urology (ESPU)
- Member of the Indian Medical Association
- Member – Lions Club International.
- Guest Faculty – Administrative Staff College of India, Hyderabad (ASCI)
- Member – Indian Confederation for Healthcare Accreditation and Education Promotion Society for India.; New Delhi
- Member of the Administrative Staff College of India, Hyderabad (ASCI)
- Life member of Nephrology Urology Transplantation Society of SAARC